Long Beach rental housing providers and tenants now have 30 additional days to apply for rent relief under the city’s COVID-19 rental assistance program.

The new deadline to apply for aid is June 11, extended from May 12.

The city also expects to receive an additional $21.2 million in federal funds for rental assistance.

“We are very thankful that Gov. Newsom is making tenant assistance a priority and these additional resources and time will allow more folks to get support,” Mayor Robert Garcia said in this news release.

To be eligible, residential tenants must rent in Long Beach and meet the following criteria:

  • The household has a household income at or below 80% of the area median income.
  • One or more individuals within the household has experienced a financial hardship due, directly or indirectly, to the COVID-19 pandemic; and
  • One or more individuals within the household can demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability. 

Other program details are as follows:

  • The program will prioritize households at or below 50% of the area median income.
  • The program will prioritize assisting households with past due rents and lower-income tenants who have been unemployed for 90 days or more and who are at risk of housing instability.
  • The program will prioritize paying outstanding past due rent and utilities before addressing future rents and utility payments.
  • Landlords with one or more eligible tenants can apply to get reimbursed for 80 percent of each eligible tenant’s unpaid rent between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021, if they agree to waive the remaining 20 percent of unpaid rent for that specific time period.
  • If a landlord is applying on behalf of their tenant, the tenant must also complete the application and provide necessary documentation.
  • If a tenant is eligible but their landlord chooses not to participate in LB-ERAP, they may apply on their own for 25 percent of the unpaid rent between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021.
  • LB-ERAP will help income-eligible tenants pay utilities, both for past due bills and future payments. Tenants can also apply for up to 25 percent of their rent for up to three months of future rent. 

To apply for rental assistance in Long Beach, click here.