CAA extends ‘Safe at Home Guidelines’ through June 30
CALIFORNIA APARTMENT ASSOCIATION’S SAFE AT HOME GUIDELINES
Although California is slowly reopening its economy, the COVID-19 pandemic continues to create health challenges and financial adversity throughout the state.
In response to these lingering difficulties, the California Apartment Association this week extended its Safe at Home Guidelines by one month.
Instead of expiring May 31, the guidelines will remain in place through June 30. Landlords are encouraged to:
- Freeze rents on all residents & pledge to not issue any rent increases.
- Halt evictions on renters affected by COVID-19, absent extraordinary circumstances.
- Waive late fees for residents who pay rent after the rent due date because they have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and related government actions.
- Offer flexible payment plans for residents who cannot pay rent by the due date.
- Direct renters to available resources to assist with food, health, and financial assistance.
- Communicate with residents proactively that you are available to assist them and want to work with them to ensure they remain housed.