Legal Q&A: Tenants complaining about neighboring property


Question: Several of our tenants have complained to us about the neighboring property. The people who live there work on their cars in the driveway at all hours and have loud and wild parties almost each weekend until dawn. What are my legal responsibilities?

Answer: You have a right to inform the owner of the neighboring property and request their assistance in resolving the problem. Recommend that your residents contact the police during the time of the disturbances.

Question: What is the most useful information on the tenant’s application for collection purposes?

Answer:  The most useful information for locating former residents are the Social Security, driver’s license and license plate numbers. For collection on judgments, current employment and bank account records are the most valuable.

Ted Kimball Kimball, Tirey & St. John LLP

Ted Kimball
Kimball, Tirey & St. John LLP

Question: What is an assistive animal?

Answer: According to HUD, an assistive animal “is an animal that works, provides assistance or performs tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability, or provides emotional support that alleviates one or more identified symptoms or effects of a person’s disability. Assistive animals perform many disability-related functions, including but not limited to, guiding individuals who are blind or have low vision, alerting individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing to sounds, providing protection or rescue assistance, pulling a wheelchair, fetching items, alerting persons to impending seizures or providing emotional support to persons with disabilities who have a disability-related need for such support.

Kimball, Tirey & St. John LLP is a full service real estate law firm representing residential and commercial property owners and managers. This article is for general information purposes only. Laws may have changed since this article was published. Before acting, be sure to receive legal advice from our office. If you have questions, please contact your local KTS office. For contact information, please visit our website: For past Legal Alerts, Questions & Answers, and Legal Articles, please consult the resource library section of our website.

Recent Legal Q&A posts:


No comments yet. Be the first!