Legal Q&A: Can broken window be deducted from security deposit?
Question: One of our residents admitted to breaking a window in his unit. Our management company wants to make the repair and deduct it from his security deposit. Please give us your opinion if our management company is using proper procedures.
Recent Legal Q&A posts:
- Legal Q&A: Tenant owing back rent will likely file bankruptcy
- Legal Q&A: I suspect next-door neighbor is dealing drugs
- Legal Q&A: Can I charge tenant for painting unit purple?
- Legal Q&A: What if tenant won’t fix broken window?
- Legal Q&A: Tenant won’t allow prospective buyer into unit
- Legal Q&A: Tenant died with three months left on lease
- Legal Q&A: Does selling a property terminate existing leases?
- Legal Q&A: Can tenant legally break lease for job change?
- Legal Q&A: Tenant may have falsified application
- Legal Q&A: Tenant ‘races’ car in parking area