Legal Q&A: Can broken window be deducted from security deposit?
Question: One of our residents admitted to breaking a window in his unit. Our management company wants to make the repair and deduct it from his security deposit. Please give us your opinion if our management company is using proper procedures.
Recent Legal Q&A posts:
- Legal Q&A: Outdoor beer-drinking prompts complaints
- Legal Q&A: Tenants say we’re ‘picking’ on them
- Legal Q&A: Must carpeting be replaced within a certain timeframe?
- Legal Q&A: Rental applicant is paid ‘under the table’
- Legal Q&A: Can tenant claim ‘buyer’s remorse’ to get out of lease?
- Legal Q&A: Tenant owing back rent will likely file bankruptcy
- Legal Q&A: I suspect next-door neighbor is dealing drugs
- Legal Q&A: Can I charge tenant for painting unit purple?
- Legal Q&A: What if tenant won’t fix broken window?
- Legal Q&A: Tenant won’t allow prospective buyer into unit