Legal Q&A: Can broken window be deducted from security deposit?
Question: One of our residents admitted to breaking a window in his unit. Our management company wants to make the repair and deduct it from his security deposit. Please give us your opinion if our management company is using proper procedures.
Recent Legal Q&A posts:
- Legal Q&A: Tenant won’t allow prospective buyer into unit
- Legal Q&A: Tenant died with three months left on lease
- Legal Q&A: Does selling a property terminate existing leases?
- Legal Q&A: Can tenant legally break lease for job change?
- Legal Q&A: Tenant may have falsified application
- Legal Q&A: Tenant ‘races’ car in parking area
- Legal Q&A: Tenant won’t pay rent until he gets 3-day notice
- Legal Q&A: Tenant wouldn’t accept 30-day notice
- Legal Q&A: Dog constantly barking, scaring residents
- Legal Q&A: Evicted tenant keeps returning, causing problems